The 2013 MLA Sailing Regatta was hosted by Beaumaris Yacht Club (BYC) on Sunday August 5th. It was a terrific sailing day, with great winds 15-25kph and cool temperature. Sailors from 10 - 70 years old participated in the regatta.
The Race Committee team set the courses mid morning in a steady breeze. The Skippers meeting to review the race instructions and starting sequence for the seven classes of sailboats was held before the boats sailed out to the two race courses. It was a shifty NW wind throughout the afternoon racing, with regular 15 degree wind shifts and velocity changes and lots of strong wind gusts. All fleets completed 3 races. Lowest total scores from the combined finished positions were counted.
The awards and trophy ceremony followed the on water activity with MLA gold, silver and bronze medals presented for each class of boats, in addition to some giveaways from Fogh Marine, one of our sailing sponsors.
The regatta was organized and managed by MLA Muskoka Sailing Network Chairman & Vice President, Michael Hart. A keen team of volunteers participated in running the regatta, including:
- Murray Sarafinchin, Principal Race Officer
- Jon Cryan and Conor Wall, BYC instructors in the Mark Boat
- Kelly Hart, score keeper and photographer
- Liam Roberts, Erin McCoy and Lester Johnstone doing flags and timing on the Race Committee boat
- Lisa Noonan, from the MLA Office managed registration, medals and trophies
- Barb Triskan and Steve Phillips for assisting with course set up, site management and award presentations
Other thanks go to:
- Grant Hood who donated the pontoon boat for use as the Race Committee boat
- Fogh Marine, Posterjack.ca, Robertson & Robertson Yacht Insurance (Skippers Plan) and Ontario Sailing for sponsorship
- Muskoka Lakes Association for the medals
Also, our thanks go to BYC and their Director, Jeffrey Hand for use of their facilities, staff and site.
Regatta results were as follows:
- Cameron & Fergus Wilmer, BYC
- Will Clemson & Hugh Digby, BYC
- Andy Cumming, Oliver Triskan & Ryan Lind, South Muskoka Sailing Club (SMSC)
- Chas Daly, Drew Dalmage & Gavin Daly, SMSC
- Steve Phillips, SMSC
- Michael Hart, SMSC
- Brian Jarrett, Kettles Sailing Club (KSC)
- Parker Phillips & Chloe Triskan, SMSC
- Keaton & Mike Phillips / Matt Fraser, SMSC
- Brendan & Carolyn Horan, KSC
- Adam Nicholson, Finn, Bala Sailing Club
- Michael Smith & Alex Low, 29er, SMSC
- Teddy Littler, BYC
- Blake Latimer & Graham Digby, BYC
- Aaron Nash & McKenna McCoy, SMSC
- Abby Latimer & Caitlin Little, BYC
Commodores Cup for the most 1,2,3 finishes across the fleets was won by South Muskoka Sailing Club and accepted by their Commodore, Barb Triskan.
Special recognition awards (from Fogh Marine) were presented to:
- Teddy Littler in the Opti class for his dedication to racing this small dinghy in such challenging conditions
- Keaton Phillips and Matt Fraser for completing a main halyard repair after capsizing their 420 dingy and finishing the race.